Thursday, February 17, 2011

Blessed are the merciful!


"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy." – Matthew 5:7
When I see this verse I immediately think of the story of the Good Samaritan who nursed and cared for the down-trodden traveler that was left for dead by the side of the road, while others even crossed to the other side of the road to avoid the man that was so desperately in need.
We are all guilty of being busy...so busy that we tend to forget others that are in need. My prayer is that we....I...can be a lot more merciful toward others in need. I'm not just talking about writing a check to give to those in need, even though that can be good in and of itself.
I know there have been times where I should have given my neighbor food..or clothing. I should have written that card to encourage. I should have given that phone call, or made that visit to one in need.
Jesus calls us to be merciful to our fellow man. As Christians, he tells us that we too will be rewarded with mercy! After all....we all deserve death and separation from God, but because of His mercy, we have eternal life for those who believe in Him!
A lot of people talk about how our American culture has gotten so insensitive and self-centered. Can you imagine what a change we could make if we were a lot more merciful toward each other? Let's pray that we can be more loving and merciful with a pay-it-forward mentality. God bless you! Blessed are the merciful!

No comments: