Monday, January 31, 2011

Blessed are the meek.


"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." – Matthew 5:5
A lot of people would probably define meekness as weakness. This is not what the Bible is trying to say here in the beginnings of the Sermon on the Mount, in Matthew 5:5. I learned from my devotions that meekness in this particular scripture means gentleness. I for one know that being gentle takes a lot of discipline!

Jesus tells us that His rule on His earth is to be a gentle one. Jesus teaches us that we are to show restraint over our own passions, stubbornness, anger, and all of the other ungodly actions that are in our sinful nature. If we can have this restraint and be gentle, showing the love of Jesus Christ, we can be rulers over much!

Lord, I pray that I can be faithful, and be more gentle towards others. It's not easy. I know that we, as Christians, are not of this world. Help us, oh God, to be gentle and show that Biblical meekness that you are talking about in Matthew 5:5.

Amen.

No comments: