Wednesday, June 4, 2008

No knives please!


Yes! It is true...you need to keep me out of the kitchen when it comes to preparing food! Saturday morning after doing chores....I came in from the barn and decided that it would be great to make some breakfast burritos with fresh scrambled eggs and bacon. I had to take the bacon out of the freezer. As I was working on the frozen bacon with a kitchen knife, I slipped with the knife and ran it right into the palm of my hand! I bled like a stuck pig!....all over the counter, all over the floor, all in the sink! I finally got the bleeding to stop, washed the wound, and put disinfectant on it. I also wrapped it after thinking that it didn't look "too" bad for stitches.


Later that day my son Caleb and I drove to Thermopolis for his double-header baseball game. While I was there, my hand started to throb with pain really bad! It was turning black and blue. I tried ice. It worked a little. At the end of baseball, I told Caleb that we needed to get home as quickly as possible. When I got home, I called Pastor Shaun and Jodi and told them I didn't think that I could play guitar to lead worship in the morning. Bless their hearts, we all went down to the church and put together a CD version of worship for the next morning. Then I went home after Shaun told me to call him if I needed anything. At home I took my wrap off and was startled to see how bad my hand was. I called Pastor Shaun back and told him that I was on the way to the emergency room. This tells you what kind of a pastor we have.......Shaun went down and stayed with me at the emergency room until after midnight!!!!


By the time it was all over, the doctors had to cut off my wedding band, soaked my hand, given me antibiotics, and had my hand wrapped. The main emergency doctor told me that I had nicked an artery, and that was the reason for all of the black, blue, purple,.......etc. He told me that he was glad that I had not waited much longer to get to the hospital.


Thank you Lord for taking care of me. Thank you Lord that I was at least able to help with worship using CD's the next day. Thank you Lord for good medical care. Thank you Lord for Pastor Shaun and Jodi being there when I needed them.
I will be a lot more careful in the kitchen! I'm just glad that I didn't bring in the power tools to cut up the bacon!

No comments: