Monday, May 19, 2008

Rounding up the cattle!


You know.....it is that time of year when ranchers are rounding up their cattle, cutting out the calves from the herd on horseback, and then firing up the brands, getting shots ready.........gearing up for branding. Well, that was my experience again this weekend on Saturday. It was a lot of fun working the calves with my family. It was especially fun to see the kids doing some roping!

After the branding was done, we had to put the cows into the chutes for shots and worming. When we released them from the chute to get back to their calves, a clear opened gate to the corral, many of them took a goofy wrong turn and had to be "persuaded" to get back on the right path and into the corral where they belong.

I was thinking about this yesterday. God often reveals Himself to us, giving us clear directions, and we often take goofy wrong turns, thinking we can do things on our own. Often times God has to get us back on the right path and into the "corral" that we belong. He reveals Himself a lot when we read His word! We just need to take the time to indulge in His Holy Scriptures. Yes, in our sinful nature, we are going to take wrong paths once in a while, but as we pursue the Lord and read his word, it should become less and less. I don't know about you, but I want to be in God's corral. He will even make us lie down in green pastures! Lord, thank you for your word!

Psalms 119:105 "Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Psalms 119:11
"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

No comments: